WIP Week: Promethium Reactorum XVI

I've continued to paint the base coats and it's starting to look more like a playable surface. Below is the progress so far, only on the lower 6 feet.



I started by airbrushing the wastelands with thinned citadel 'graveyard earth', and then dry-brushed the entire area with 'kislev flesh'. For the mechanicum walkways, I plan to use the hairspray technique to give them a weathered whitewash to be consistent with all the concrete on the board. Before I do the hair spraying though, I needed to get down a perfect base coat. 


For the walkways, I airbrushed first with Lascaux Bronze 'stainless steel' in a very mottled pattern. Lascaux paints are remarkably good, and most are even appropriate for miniatures, though the metallics are best kept for terrain since they sometimes show the graininess of the metallic flakes. After this, I mixed up a rusted flesh tone by mixing 3:1 burnt sienna and cadmium orange acrylics from Liquitex. This paint is slightly lower quality, but excellent for terrain. It tends not to be as colorfast as other paints, but it will be heavily weathered in this case, and so is a good alternative to expensive Citadel or Lascaux paints. 


Finally, I laid down an airbrushed coat of grey for the concrete. I am trying this new paint from Mission Models and I am really liking it. For the concrete I used 'British Slate Grey' which was the perfect tone for pre-weathered concrete. These paints are new to me, but so far they perform really well. They do however take a bit of mixing, and the bottle includes a small metal bearing inside for just that. I think the bearing size is nearly perfect for the internal hip joint of a contemptor dreadnought, which I will use later to make the 30k boxed dreads more dynamic (that's for another time). 



Comments

  1. Ah i see! Its come full circle now. With a bit of paint i can really understand what you were going for. I finally got to look at a "Master Class" book too, the one you were referencing over a year ago on your casting post. I can also feel the ruinous powers pulling me down into a descent into madness...

    You've absolutely nailed the grit in-between the walkways. Literally looks like the Hand of God has molded it. It looks so real. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment