WIP Week: Promethium Reactorum XI

For the second set of Promethium Reactorum tiles, I wanted to make the landscape flat and harsh, but make the board have some space to add terrain pieces that can be moved around. I decided to mimic the look of the Kill Team illustrated board in the mechanicum wasteland areas, surrounded by the urban streets and mountains of the other 6 feet of board.


You may notice lots of sand and grit, but I also mixed in carved plastic components and even found a new way to make realistic bricks: I first cut up all the plastic sprues that have been sitting around for years into small pieces. I then used an old Ninja blender (I had just bought a replacement) with a small smoothie cup to shred and chip the bricks making them much more worn and looking quite realistic. I added in other small components as well from old citadel cities of death kits. 


Besides adding lots of grit and debris, I cast up a few half cylinders form the mechanicum terrain kits and laid them into the ground as buried refinery outlets. I was sure to build up debris in places that it would naturally settle in a busy industrial setting. I will show more about casting small parts and laying down realistic debris texture on a later post. 


After laying down the texture over the entire board, and adding lots of little plastic bits, the parts all come together at last. A single spray coat of Rustoleum flat black primer, and all the magic starts to come alive. If you look around the edges, the dirt and detritus pile up as though it built up there over time. Also notice the spare ammo crates and debris piled where vehicles and people would be less likely to travel. This gives a sense of debris piling up after long periods of being ignored.


Comments

  1. I'm following this build closely and find it to be one of the most amazing board builds I've seen! Your attention to detail is just staggering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll show some more detailed pics soon.

      Delete
  2. The blender is great idea. I've paid too much for some fancy dice and i don't want to scratch them on some cheap sand. This is genius.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment