WIP Wednesday: Promethium Reactorum III

The Promethium Reactorum is really taking shape. I started to cut and layer the mountains with foam sheets.  Once the basic shape of the mountains is built up, I'll have to shape the foam with a wire brush, and then I will cast up lots of rock outcroppings (which I already started).  I also decided the placement for the two Astartes emplacements, which used to be from my cities of death gaming board (which has graciously retired to contribute to this new board).


The picture below shows the overall look and feel of the board.  I planned for a main diagonal road that divides the board exactly in half. For gaming, I want it to be built up like a defensible fortress wall, so the hover rail line is actually playing the role of a trench system, but in an urban environment. The main facility will be Mechanicum, but with Imperial-looking defenses.  I aim to show the relationship between the two empires, and how they are separate but (almost) equal.


Also, I decided to cast up lots of little promethium reactors (you'll get a star if you can figure out what GW pieces and parts I used to create these). In a later post, I will highlight the polyurethane casting compound I use, it's incredibly fun and easy to learn. In the picture below, you can see how these little reactors might be used, though I plan to magnetize the reactors to be moved around and placed differently for different games. 


Lastly, an overhead view showing the layout. In the long run, there will be lots of little terrain pieces that can be moved around, and the main facility at the back can be removed and replaced with different terrain pieces. The front part opposite the big facility will have Imperial city buildings, so that Imperium and Mechanicum remain on opposite sides of the tracks. Lots to look forward to, I can't even imagine painting this beast.

Comments