Painting Desk: My Favorite Airbrush Colors

This week, I received a new batch colors for airbrushing.  While I don't use the airbrush exclusively, or often, I have done a lot of experimentation. I've found that miniature painting is not the same as the typical use of airbrushes, and my personal taste is toward a very weathered and dark appearance to my miniatures. So this week, I thought I'd give my suggestion for the best airbrush colors that I have found:  Schmincke Aero Color.


To show one of my applications, I used the Schmincke to paint the marbled panels on Ira Deorum (which I promise I will show in more detail soon). The first paint coat before the marbling detail is done with the airbrush.  In this case, I start with a zenithal highlight with Supra-white Opaque over a black spray coated panel. I then use Flesh Tint to very lightly add some randomness to the white. This is done by gradually adding Flesh Tint to the Supra-white Opaque in the airbrush pot. In the picture, you can see how smooth the airbrushing looks, but I then go through many stages of details and weathering.


Just to show the next step, I then make a 'dirty' wash of 2 drops of Flesh Tint, 2 drops of Citadel Brown Ink (I still have some from the 90's), and 1 teaspoon of water. I sponge this on with a pair of tweezers and a small sponge piece, and then use a partially wet brush to remove some, but not all, of the water marks. There are several steps after this that again are used to add subtle layers over the airbrushing.



Comments