Painting Desk: Promethium Hauler

Have you ever wondered how promethium is transported? It seems like some pretty scary stuff as far as worker safety goes, but incredibly important nonetheless. Using some of the new terrain kits, and a few components from some other kits I had, I started building and painting a promethium hauler for the promethium reactorum terrain board that I'm building (see the post on WIP Wednesday). I've included a hover rail line that is fully integrated into the terrain board.


My feeling is that promethium (at least in the era of the Great Crusade) would have been transported by highly armored hover trains, each with only a small volume of the precious cargo. For my promethium hauler, I wanted the yellow paint to look as though it was highly worn, perhaps due to the caustic and highly corrosive fumes of the promethium, which would likely occur during filling and transfer.


The hauler so far is still in progress, but nearly done. The base color for the yellow was Yriel yellow, which was sponge painted on and then heavily worn using various techniques (comment if you are interested in the details, I can always post my notes). The metal was an experiment, one that worked out really well in that it was quite fast, and gave a very rich, appropriately rusted metallic look. It was done by first dry-brushing with brown-grey and blue-grey tones, and then adding a highlight of ironbreaker. After adding some other metallics for details, I then washed with an oil paint wash, spray coated it, and finally used citadel washes (again I can always post notes if you are interested, just ask). I plan to maybe add a few ironbreaker detail highlights to pick out some of the small metal parts.


It was a really simple, but fun build, and it will also guide some of the painting schemes for my promethium reactorum gaming board. Painting an entire gaming board is a huge challenge, and I'm experimenting with lots of painting and weathering tricks that will make it feasible to finish the board within my lifetime. Stay tuned, I think this was a promising step in the right direction. If you have any suggestions for cool rules for the promethium hauler, let me know.  If you build your own version, I would love to see your ideas.



Comments